Question of the Week
Based on each Sunday’s Scripture readings, your “Question of the Week” offers opportunities for deeper reflection and faith-sharing. Make the “Question of the Week” your starting point in for small group faith-sharing, family prayer time, and daily reflection.
Basado en las lecturas de la Escritura de cada domingo, su “Pregunta de la Semana” ofrece oportunidades de reflexión más profunda y compartimiento de la fe. Haga la “Pregunta de la Semana” su punto de partida en para el compartimiento de la fe del grupo pequeño, tiempo del rezo de la familia y reflexión diaria.
Third Sunday of Easter: Recognizing the Lord
04-30-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 2:14, 22-33 (Peter's discourse)
- Reading II: 1 Peter 1:17-21 (filial obedience)
- Gospel: Luke 24:13-35 (Emmaus)
- Key Passage: When he was at the table with the disciples, he took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and he vanished from their sight. (Luke 24:30–31)
- Adult: In what way have you come to know Jesus better through the breaking of the bread at Eucharist?
- Child: When you join Jesus at the table of the Eucharist next Sunday, what would you like to thank him for?
Second Sunday of Easter: Encouraging others
04-23-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 2:42-47 (communal life)
- Reading II: 1 Peter 1:3-9 (thanksgiving)
- Gospel: John 20:19-31 (appearance to the disciples; Thomas)
- Key Passage: Then Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe." (John 20:27)
- Adult: We show our faith when we demonstrate courage in the face of difficulty. What could you do this week to help strengthen someone?
- Child: What could you do this week to encourage someone who is sad or discouraged?
Easter Sunday: Witness to faith
04-16-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 10:34, 37-43 (Peter's discourse)
- Reading II: Colossians 3:1-4 (mystical death and resurrection) Or 1 Corinthians 5:6–8 (unleavened bread of sincerity and truth)
- Gospel: John 20:1-9 (Peter and the disciple at the tomb)
- Key Passage: Then the other disciple, who reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw and believed. (John 20:8)
- Adult: What is your experience of resurrection in your own life or the life of your family?
- Child: Jesus is with us today. How can you see him in the people around you in Church?
Passion (Palm) Sunday: Obedience and humility
04-09-2017Question of the Week
- Procession Gospel: Matthew 21:1-11 (triumphal entry into Jerusalem)
- Reading I: Isaiah 50:4-7 (salvation only through the Lord's servant)
- Reading II: Philippians 2:6-11 (imitating Christ's humility)
- Gospel: Matthew 26:14-27:66 (the passion of Jesus)
- Key Passage: Jesus emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death—even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:7–8)
- Adult: We are called to die to ourselves in love for others. How do you live that in your own life?
- Child: How do you allow Jesus to live in your heart?
Fifth Sunday of Lent: Life everlasting
04-02-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Ezekiel 37:12-14 (prophecy of restoration)
- Reading II: Romans 8:8-11 (the flesh and the Spirit)
- Gospel: John 11:1-45 (the raising of Lazarus)
- Key Passage: Jesus said to Martha, "I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" (John 11:25–26)
- Adult: Christ calls us from death to new life. To what new life are you being called during this Lent?
- Child: How does Jesus help you do what is good and avoid what is not?
Fourth Sunday of Lent:Source of light
03-26-2017Question of the Week
Reading I: 1 Samuel 16:1b, 6-7, 10-13a
(Samuel anoints David)
Reading II: Ephesians 5:8-14 (duty to live in the light)
Gospel: John 9:1-41 (the man born blind)
Key Passage: For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as Children of light—for the fruit of the light is found in all that is good and right and true. (Ephesians 5:8–9)
Adult: What are you doing in your life right now to move toward light rather than darkness?READ MORE
Child: How can you let the light of your faith in Jesus shine for others to see?
Third Sunday of Lent: Source of strength
03-19-2017Question of the Week
Reading I: Exodus 17:3-7 (water from the rock)
Reading II: Romans 5:1-2, 5-8 (faith, hope, and love)
Gospel: John 4:5-42 (the Samaritan woman at the well)
Key Passage: Jesus said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but those who drink of the water that I will give them will never be thirsty. The water that I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life." (John 4:13–14)
Adult: Where have you found a source of "living water" for your own journey of faith?READ MORE
Child: Name some times when your belief in Jesus helped make you stronger.
Second Sunday of Lent: Call to faithfulness
03-12-2017Question of the Week
Reading I: Genesis 12:1-4 (call of Abraham)
Reading II: 2 Timothy 1:8b-10 (exhortation to faithfulness)
Gospel: Matthew 17:1-9 (Jesus transfigured)
Key Passage: Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. (Matthew 17:1–2)
Adult: How has your faith in Jesus transformed you? What difference does your faith in Jesus Christ make in your life? READ MORE
Child: How has the example of Jesus helped you become a better person and a better Christian?
First Sunday of Lent: Overcoming temptation
03-05-2017Question of the Week
Reading I: Genesis 2:7-9; 3:1-7 (the fall of humankind)
Reading II: Romans 5:12-19 (humanity's sin through Adam)
Gospel: Matthew 4:1-11 (the temptation of Jesus)
Key Passage: Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. (Matthew 4:1)
Adult: What helpful advice could you offer someone faced with a temptation? READ MORE
Child: What helps you do the right thing when you want to do something wrong?