Question of the Week
Based on each Sunday’s Scripture readings, your “Question of the Week” offers opportunities for deeper reflection and faith-sharing. Make the “Question of the Week” your starting point in for small group faith-sharing, family prayer time, and daily reflection.
Basado en las lecturas de la Escritura de cada domingo, su “Pregunta de la Semana” ofrece oportunidades de reflexión más profunda y compartimiento de la fe. Haga la “Pregunta de la Semana” su punto de partida en para el compartimiento de la fe del grupo pequeño, tiempo del rezo de la familia y reflexión diaria.
Twelfth Sunday in Ordinary Time: The reassurance of faith
06-25-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Jeremiah 20:10–13 (Jeremiah's faith in crisis)
- Reading II: Romans 5:12–15 (mankind's sin through Adam)
- Gospel: Matthew 10:26–33 (reassurance to the Twelve)
- Key Passage: Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. (Matthew 10:28a)
- Adult: When has your faith in Jesus been most seriously tested?
- Child: What could you do to encourage someone who is feeling hurt?
Body and Blood of Christ: Bread for others
06-18-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Deuteronomy 8:2-3, 14-16 (God's care)
- Reading II: 1 Corinthians 10:16-17 (the Eucharist vs. pagan sacrifices)
- Gospel: John 6:51-58 (the living bread)
- Key Passage: I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh. (John 6:51)
- Adult: What does it mean for you right now to be bread for others as Jesus was?
- Child: In what ways can Jesus' presence in the Eucharist help you do good things for others?
Trinity Sunday: A God of love
06-11-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Exodus 34:4-6, 8-9 (renewal of the tablets)
- Reading II: 2 Corinthians 13:11-13 (farewell)
- Gospel: John 3:16-18 (belief in the Son sent by the Father)
- Key Passage: For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. (John 3:16)
- Adult: We live within the Trinity whenever we live in love. How does this mystery connect to your daily life?
- Child: How do you choose to live as a more loving person?
Pentecost: Sent to serve
06-04-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 2:1-11 (descent of the Holy Spirit)
- Reading II: 1 Corinthians 12:3-7, 12-13 (many gifts, one Spirit, and the analogy of the body)
- Gospel: John 20:19-23 (appearance to the disciples)
- Key Passage: Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit." (John 20:21–22)
- Adult: What important work does Jesus ask of you at this time in your life?
- Child: How would Jesus want you to treat your friends and family this week?
05-28-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 1:1–11 (Jesus' final instructions and ascension)
- Reading II: Ephesians 1:17–23 (exaltation of Christ)
- Gospel: Matthew 28:16–20 (I am with you always)
- Key Passage: "You will receive the power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will witness...to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:8)
- Adult: Jesus promises to be with us always. How do you experience his presence most?
- Child: What good news about Jesus could you share with your friends?
Sixth Sunday of Easter:The strength of faith
05-21-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 8:5-8, 14-17 (Philip in Samaria)
- Reading II: 1 Peter 3:15-18 (on Christian suffering)
- Gospel: John 14:15-21 (promise of the Paraclete)
- Key Passage: Jesus said, "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever." (John 14:16)
- Adult: The Spirit gives us inner wisdom and strength. When have you experienced this?
- Child: The Holy Spirit makes you strong inside. When do you need to be strong?
Fifth Sunday of Easter: Jesus, the Way
05-14-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 6:1-7 (the need of assistants)
- Reading II: 1 Peter 2:4-9 (living stones)
- Gospel: John 14:1-12 (last discourse: the way, the truth, and the life)
- Key Passage: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)
- Adult: In a challenge you face right now, what will it mean to live the way of Jesus Christ?
- Child: Name some ways you can be more like Jesus when you are playing with your friends or family.
Fourth Sunday of Easter: Called to be shepherds
05-07-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 2:14, 36-41 (Peter's discourse)
- Reading II: 1 Peter 2:20-25 (for the slave)
- Gospel: John 10:1-10 (the Good Shepherd)
- Key Passage: [The shepherd] goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. (John 10:4)
- Adult: How are you a shepherd to those in your care?
- Child: What will you do this week to show you love those around you?
Third Sunday of Easter: Recognizing the Lord
04-30-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 2:14, 22-33 (Peter's discourse)
- Reading II: 1 Peter 1:17-21 (filial obedience)
- Gospel: Luke 24:13-35 (Emmaus)
- Key Passage: When he was at the table with the disciples, he took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and he vanished from their sight. (Luke 24:30–31)
- Adult: In what way have you come to know Jesus better through the breaking of the bread at Eucharist?
- Child: When you join Jesus at the table of the Eucharist next Sunday, what would you like to thank him for?
Second Sunday of Easter: Encouraging others
04-23-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 2:42-47 (communal life)
- Reading II: 1 Peter 1:3-9 (thanksgiving)
- Gospel: John 20:19-31 (appearance to the disciples; Thomas)
- Key Passage: Then Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe." (John 20:27)
- Adult: We show our faith when we demonstrate courage in the face of difficulty. What could you do this week to help strengthen someone?
- Child: What could you do this week to encourage someone who is sad or discouraged?
Easter Sunday: Witness to faith
04-16-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Acts 10:34, 37-43 (Peter's discourse)
- Reading II: Colossians 3:1-4 (mystical death and resurrection) Or 1 Corinthians 5:6–8 (unleavened bread of sincerity and truth)
- Gospel: John 20:1-9 (Peter and the disciple at the tomb)
- Key Passage: Then the other disciple, who reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw and believed. (John 20:8)
- Adult: What is your experience of resurrection in your own life or the life of your family?
- Child: Jesus is with us today. How can you see him in the people around you in Church?
Passion (Palm) Sunday: Obedience and humility
04-09-2017Question of the Week
- Procession Gospel: Matthew 21:1-11 (triumphal entry into Jerusalem)
- Reading I: Isaiah 50:4-7 (salvation only through the Lord's servant)
- Reading II: Philippians 2:6-11 (imitating Christ's humility)
- Gospel: Matthew 26:14-27:66 (the passion of Jesus)
- Key Passage: Jesus emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death—even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:7–8)
- Adult: We are called to die to ourselves in love for others. How do you live that in your own life?
- Child: How do you allow Jesus to live in your heart?
Fifth Sunday of Lent: Life everlasting
04-02-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Ezekiel 37:12-14 (prophecy of restoration)
- Reading II: Romans 8:8-11 (the flesh and the Spirit)
- Gospel: John 11:1-45 (the raising of Lazarus)
- Key Passage: Jesus said to Martha, "I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" (John 11:25–26)
- Adult: Christ calls us from death to new life. To what new life are you being called during this Lent?
- Child: How does Jesus help you do what is good and avoid what is not?