Question of the Week
Based on each Sunday’s Scripture readings, your “Question of the Week” offers opportunities for deeper reflection and faith-sharing. Make the “Question of the Week” your starting point in for small group faith-sharing, family prayer time, and daily reflection.
Basado en las lecturas de la Escritura de cada domingo, su “Pregunta de la Semana” ofrece oportunidades de reflexión más profunda y compartimiento de la fe. Haga la “Pregunta de la Semana” su punto de partida en para el compartimiento de la fe del grupo pequeño, tiempo del rezo de la familia y reflexión diaria.
09-24-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I:Isaiah 55:6-9 (seeking the Lord)
- Reading II: Philippians 1:20-24, 27 (spreading the gospel)
- Gospel: Matthew 20:1-16 (the laborers in the vineyard)
- Key Passage: [The landowner] said "Take what belongs to you and go; I choose to give to this last the same as I give to you. Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or are you envious because I am generous?" (Matthew 20:14–15)
- Adult: What lessons do you draw from today's Gospel? How has God been generous to you in this way?
- Child: Who is generous to you, even when you do not always deserve it?
Helping Others Grow
09-10-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Ezekiel 33:7-9 (the Prophet a watchman)
- Reading II: Romans 13:8-10 (love fulfills the Law)
- Gospel: Matthew 18:15-20 (fraternal correction)
- Key Passage: Jesus said, "If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone." (Matthew 18:15)
- Adult: How have you been able to follow Christ more closely because others patiently loved you?
- Child: How can you help another person do the right thing?
Come, follow me
09-03-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Jeremiah 20:7-9 (Jeremiah's interior crisis)
- Reading II:Romans 12:1-2 (sacrifice of body and mind)
- Gospel:Matthew 16:21-27 (first prophecy of passion and resurrection; doctrine of the cross)
- Key Passage: Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." (Matthew 16:24)
- Adult: In what concrete ways do you take up your cross and follow Jesus?
- Child: When has it been difficult to be a follower of Jesus?
Representatives of Christ
08-27-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Isaiah 22:15, 19-23 (Eliakim chosen by God)
- Reading II: Romans 11:33-36 (praise of God)
- Gospel: Matthew 16:13-20 (Peter the rock)
- Key Passage: He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." (Matthew 16:15–16)
- Adult: If you were asked, how would you explain Jesus to a person who had not heard of him?
- Child: Who do you tell people Jesus is?
All are welcome
08-20-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Isaiah 56:1, 6-7 (the Lord's house open to all)
- Reading II: Romans 11:13-15, 29-32 (Israel's final conversion; the triumph of God's mercy)
- Gospel: Matthew 15:21-28 (faith of the Canaanite woman)
- Key Passage: For my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples. (Isaiah 56:7)
- Adult: The woman in this story was persistent in prayer. For what do you pray insistently?
- Child: For what do you ask God to give you most often?
Faith in the Lord
08-13-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: 1 Kings 19:9, 11-13 (Elijah's flight to Horeb)
- Reading II: 2 Romans 9:1-5 (grief for the Jews; God's free choice)
- Gospel: Matthew 14:22-33 (Jesus walks on water)
- Key Passage: Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?" (Matthew 14:31)
- Adult: When have you doubted the loving care of God for you as the apostles did in the boat?
- Child: How do you know that Jesus is with you at all times?
The Transfiguration of the Lord
08-06-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14 (The coming of the Son ofMan)
- Reading II: 2 Peter 1:16-19 (We have been eyewitnessesto his majesty)
- Gospel: Matthew 17:1-9 (The transfiguration)
- Key Passage: After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. (Matthew 17:1-2)
- Adults: What difference does your faith in Jesus Christ make in your life?
- Child: What does it mean to you to be a holy person?
Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time: Commitment
07-30-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: 1 Kings 3:5, 7-12 (wisdom of Solomon)
- Reading II: Romans 8:28-30 (God's love for all)
- Gospel: Matthew 13:44-46 (the treasure and the pearl)
- Key Passage: The kingdom of heaven is like treasure
hidden in a field, which someone found and hid; then in his
joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
- Adult: What would you be willing to "sell," or do without, in order to achieve your dreams for yourself or your family?
- Child: What good thing do you want so much that you would give up something else to get it?
Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time Overcoming weakness
07-23-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I Wisdom 12:13, 16-19 (on God’s mercy)
- Reading II Romans 8:26-27 (the intercession of the Spirit)
- Gospel Matthew 13:24-30 (the parable of the weeds)
- Key Passage Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words. (Romans 8:26)
Adult: What weakness can the power of the Spirit help you overcome?
Child: When will you need the help of the Holy Spirit this week?READ MORE
Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time:Seeds of faith
07-16-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I Isaiah 55:10-11 (triumph of God’s word)
- Reading II Romans 8:18-23 (destiny of glory)
- Gospel Matthew 13:1-23 (parable of the seed)
- Key Passage Jesus said, “Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on good soil and brought forth grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.” (Matthew 13:7–8)
- Adult: How do you provide “good soil” for the faith of others to grow?
- Child: What are you doing to help the seeds of your faith grow each day?
Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time: Laying down your burdens
07-09-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: 2 Kings 4:8–11, 14–16 (Elisha and the Shunammite woman)
- Reading II: Romans 8:9, 11-13 (indwelling of the Spirit)
- Gospel: Matthew 11:25-30 (Jesus and his Father)
- Key Passage: Jesus said, "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28–29)
- Adult: When has Jesus refreshed you when you felt burdened by problems?
- Child: What burden do you need Jesus to help you carry?
Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time: Showing Christ to others
07-02-2017Question of the Week
- Reading I: 2 Kings 4:8–11, 14–16 (Elisha and the Shunammite woman)
- Reading II: Romans 6:3–4, 8–11 (death to sin, life in God)
- Gospel: Matthew 10:37–42 (conditions and rewards of discipleship)
- Key Passage: Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. (Matthew 10:39)
- Adult: When have you felt more fully alive by giving of yourself to another?
- Child: When have you been able to put what someone else needs ahead of what you want for yourself?